Proving Ground Conflict Resolution
Historically the Proving Ground Program is very successful at matching speakers and mentors but whenever you are dealing people conflict can arise from time to time. We are asking all participants to acknowledge this so everyone has a clear understanding of how situations will be handled. Conflict is defined as any situation where one or both parties have a difference due to inability to come to agreement or work collaboratively on the delivery of a talk (this could be due to personality differences, schedule conflicts, etc.).
While we ask the first step to be to raise the concern with your mentor/speaker, we realize that is not always possible or that resolution may not be possible. If the issue can not be discussed or a satisfactory resolution was not possible, it must be brought to the attention of the Proving Ground directors. The process for mediation once it is brought to the directors’ attention may require additional communication in the form of a video call or additional emails and will be as follows:
- Both parties will provide the Proving Ground directors with enough information to ensure the nature of the conflict is fully understood.
- If possible, get all parties online to try and define points of agreement and dispute so both parties understand the other’s viewpoint.
- Create a SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-Bound) plan of action in order to remediate the issue(s).
- If action plan does not work for either/both parties, alternative solutions will be considered. Alternative solutions could include:
- Mentor/Speaker discussion with the Proving Ground directors
- Mentor/Speaker re-assignment
- Dismissal from the Proving Ground program
All communications between the Proving Ground directors, senior staff, mentors, and speakers will be considered confidential and will not be shared, except with those within the organization that have a need to know.
◊ I acknowledge receiving and understand the contents of this document and will abide by the decisions of the PG Directors, if conflict arises.
© 2018 Security BSides Las Vegas, Inc.