What is BSides Las Vegas?
BSides Las Vegas is a nonprofit organization formed to stimulate the Information Security industry and community by providing an annual, two-day conference for security practitioners and those interested in (or looking to) enter the field.
Our event is a source of education, communication, and collaboration. The technical and academic presentations at BSidesLV are given in the spirit of peer review and for the dissemination of knowledge among all specialties. This allows the field of Information Security to grow and continue its pursuit of a world where privacy and security are attainable.
Board of Directors
Iftach Ian Amit, President (@iiamit)
Iftach (Ian) Amit, has over 20 years of experience in hands-on and strategic roles, working across diverse security fields: business, industry, marketing, technical and research. Ian is the Chief Security Officer at Cimpress, the world leader in mass customization. Previously, Ian held senior leadership roles at Amazon, ZeroFOX and IOActive. His career also includes time at Security-Art, Aladdin, Finjan, and Datavantage, as well as speaking at conferences such as BlackHat, DefCon, various BSides, and RSA. He founded the Tel-Aviv DefCon chapter (DC9723) and also was a founding member of the Penetration Testing Execution Standard (PTES). Ian studied Computer Science and Business Administration at the Herzliya Interdisciplinary Center and lives in Manhattan.
Cindy Jones, Vice President (@SinderzNAshes)
Cindy brings over 20 years of professional IT and security experience at her $dayjob. She has been actively involved within the information security community for over a decade, and volunteers her time by leading the registration team for BSides Las Vegas (in addition to her role on the BSides Las Vegas Board of Directors), and embraces her role as Workshops 2IC Goon for both DEF CON as well as DEF CON China.
Jack Daniel, Treasurer, Assistant Secretary (@jack_daniel)
Jack Daniel is a co-founder of Security BSides, a community builder, storyteller, technologist, historian, security professional, and he works for Tenable. Jack has over 20 years’ experience in network and system administration and security, and has worked in a variety of practitioner and management positions. Jack used to put letters after his name but he’s let them fall off and feels better now.
Justin Tibbs, Secretary (@JMP_EBP)
An avid security researcher in the fields of network and application security, Justin has worked with companies such as Cisco, Apple, Microsoft, Symantec, and IBM (ISS) to validate and remediate vulnerabilities discovered in their applications and products. While at Cisco, where he was a member of the World Wide Security Services practice, he was tasked with helping customers understand security threats to their applications, and infrastructure; and helped develop application testing methodologies known as Deep Application Vulnerability Assessments (DAVA) used by internal teams to validate the security posture of their applications. Additionally, he has held security-related positions at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Lockheed Martin, and Northrop Grumman, where he consulted for both the US Department of Defense (DoD) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on subject matter relating to secure network design and application security. Justin was a core member of the SNOSoft research team in the 90’s and early 2000’s, and currently holds the position of CSO for Red Sky Solutions.
Dave Lewis, General Director (@gattaca)
Dave Lewis has almost two decades of industry experience. He has extensive experience in IT operations and management. Currently, Lewis is a Global Security Advocate for Akamai Technologies. He is the founder of the security site Liquidmatrix Security Digest and cohost of the Liquidmatrix podcast. Lewis writes a column for CSO Online and Forbes.
Jessica Archer, General Director (@j3ssa)
Jessica Archer has 20 years of combined experience working in telecommunications and technology including 14 years working within the information security industry. She is currently a Senior Competition Development Coordinator for the Center for Infrastructure Assurance and Security at the University of Texas, San Antonio. As the Director of External relations for the National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition she has helped create, develop, oversee, and grow the competition over the past 12 years into the largest and most prestigious tiered collegiate cyber defense competition system in the U.S.A.
Chief Operations Officer / Executive Producer – Kelly “Nous” Gardner (@nousie)
Kelly “nous” Gardner ran volt ops like a pro, and is generally known as a big meanie head who can spot cabana boys and exploit this talent. She has a tiara, because that’s a thing now; lovable blue hair; and can generally cook better than all of the other BSidesLV senior staff. She’s knowledgeable in resource allocation and can kill stupid before it gets out of hand. Some people think she’s kind. In real life, she’s a pastry cook on the bottom of the totem at a 1-Michelin-star restaurant.
Chief Security Officer – Rob Carson (@robcarson05)
Rob Carson is currently Director of Security for Cherwell Software. Although not currently on Active Duty, he is also a Captain in the USMC and served FT for 7 years. Rob has built highly successful Information Security Management Systems as well as implementing and maintaining certifications for ISO 27001:2005/2013, PCI, and HIPPA and holds a CISSP and a CISA. In his spare time, he loves Skiing, Scuba Diving, and raising his Man Cubs with Mama Bear. He is very excited to be involved with BSidesLV, especially the opportunity to provide a safe environment for participants to get their “Nerd On”. All this while implementing an Ops temp that, as we continue to grow, won’t kill all the Awesome volunteers that make this happen.
Chief Media Officer – Steve Ragan (@SteveD3)
Prior to joining the journalism world in 2005, Steve spent 15 years as a freelance IT contractor focused on infrastructure management and security. He’s a father of two, and rounded geek with a strong technical background.
- Assistants to the COO: @hushedfeet and @magen_wu
- Assistant to the Executive Producer: @leanrum
- CFP Program Directors: @daemontamer and @mortman
- Breaking Ground Directors: @mainframed767 and @daemontamer
- Common Ground Directors: @allanfriedman and @mortman
- Proving Ground Directors: @securitymoey, @guy_mcdudefella and @sa3nder
- Ground Truth Directors: @gdbassett and @urbansec
- Ground1234! Directors: @jmgosney and @baybedoll_doll
- Underground Directors: @daemontamer and @mortman
- I Am The Cavalry Directors: @beauwoods and @joshcorman
- Hire Ground Director: @yesitskathleen
- A/V: @sciaticnerd and @jnitterauer
- Contests and Events: @randominterrupt and @jackassplus
- Design: @1dark0ne
- InfoBooth: @telecon and @rossja
- Las Vegas Logistics: @fuzzy_l0gic
- NOC: @jack_daniel, @lickitysplitted and MrBill
- Photographer: @cyberinvasion
- Press Operations: @steved3 and @ladyerisian
- Quartermasters: @esp_09, @VanillaGranilla, @aj7o2 and @x_mycroft_x
- Registration: @sinderznashes, @failOpen and @momiekins09
- Room Hosts Manager: @ngree_h0bit
- Safety Operations: Rob Carson, Brad Stine, @tkrabec and @edwardprevost
- Speaker Operations: @coolacid and @nickinfosec
- Sponsor Coordinators: @J_ai_Ho and @jwrenowden
- T-Shirts: @TessSchrodinger
- Training Operations: @RaynManMD
- Volunteer Operations: Beckka, @paulby, and @mr0x20wednesday
- Webmasters and Social Media: @MisterGlass and @fl3uryz
- CFP Committee Members: @__muscles, @ActualRaven, @adamrbrand, @bhaskarvk_vk, @buffaloparks, @chrisjohnriley, @edwardprevost, @fsmontenegro, @JMP_EBP, @lil_lost, @marcwrogers, @pr0zac, @selenakyle, @seric, @spacerog, @tkrabec, @wendynather, John Liu, Sarah Connor, Thing 1 and Thing 2
This page last updated February 28, 2019